To say that Somerville, MA is the forefront of Boston’s gastronomic scene is an understatement. Somerville neighborhoods have attracted star chefs over the past years, transforming the city into a bustling culinary landscape. If you’re a foodie, this place will be the answer to your dreams.
Of course, there are more reasons to love this city and, if you’re considering relocating to this area, here’s a shortlist of the best Somerville neighborhoods to help you assess which communities appeal to you the most.
Assembly Square, Somerville, MA
Located in the northeastern portion of Somerville, MA, Assembly Square is a well-developed waterfront business district bordered by Ten Hills and Massachusetts Route 28 to the north and the Charlestown neighborhood of Boston to the south.
- Assembly Row is just minutes away from Boston, with access to some wonderful local neighborhoods like Medford and Charlestown.
- The population of Assembly Square is 1,344, with an average household size of 2.2 and average family size of 2.98.
- The median individual income of Assembly Square residents is $56,563, while the median household income is $107,726.
- Generally, you’ll find several types of homes in Assembly Square, Somerville, including single family homes and condominiums.
- The median home price in Assembly Square, Somerville is $855,126.
Ball Square, Somerville, MA
Ball Square is a neighborhood primarily situated in Somerville, MA but also extending into Medford.
- This neighborhood is a food haven and residents enjoy convenient access to many cafés and restaurants in Ball Square: grab your favorite brew from Diesel Café, True Grounds, and 3 Little Figs; satisfy sweet cravings at Lyndell’s Bakery, When Pigs Fly, and J.P. Licks; order tacos from Anna’s Taqueria, Los Amigos Taqueria, or Tu y Yo; and explore your burger options at R. F. O’Sullivan & Son Pub, Tasty Burger, Boston Burger Company, Cambridge Common.
- There are nearby parks and playgrounds in the area that provide recreational facilities for both kids and adults – Seven Hills Park, Kenney Park, and Grove-Cedar Bike Path.
- Public schools in and around Ball Square include Benjamin G. Brown School, John F. Kennedy Elementary School, Benjamin Banneker Charter Public School, West Somerville Neighborhood School, Dr. Albert F. Argenziano School at Lincoln Park, Somerville High School, Medford High School, and Prospect Hill Academy Charter School.
- For young families in Ball Square, there are several excellent childcare options, including Bright Horizons at Teele Square, Sacramento Street Preschool, Bright Horizons at Davis Square, and Bright Horizons at Mass Avenue.
- Proximity to urgent care centers such as CareWell Urgent Care, which provides access to urgent, non-life-threatening care in affiliation with leading hospitals and medical centers is also a plus.
- The median home price in Ball Square is $748,000.
- The median home price per square foot is $688.
Davis Square, Somerville, MA
Davis Square is one of the Somerville’s most vibrant neighborhoods, offering a wide variety of culinary options and a thriving cultural scene.
- You’ll find a variety of locally owned businesses as well as the iconic Somerville Theatre, one of the area’s oldest movie theaters, at the Davis Square neighborhood in Downtown Somerville.
- Davis Square has a bustling food scene and nightlife, too, and some of the best places to dine and have a good time are: Davis Square Donuts and Bagels, Rosebud American Kitchen & Bar, Posto, Out of the Blue, The Painted Burro, Caramel French Patisserie, Kung Fu Tea, Sligo Pub, Buffalo Exchange, The Burren, The Rockwell, and Saloon.
- Davis Square is one of the closest neighborhoods to Tufts University, just a 7-10 minute walk from campus.
- Tufts University was founded in 1852 and is recognized as one of the premier universities in the United States because of its rigorous and innovative research and educational programs.
- Homes for sale in Davis Square, Somerville, MA have a median listing home price of $1,425,000 and an average of 56 days on the market.
East Somerville, MA
East Somerville, as the name suggests, is located east of Somerville, MA and is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city.
- People who are looking to relocate in Somerville choose East Somerville because of its relatively affordable housing, good schools, and its close proximity to Boston.
- East Somerville is known for its diversity and focus on the arts.
- Food lovers are treated with the East Somerville Foodie Crawl, an annual tasting tour that began in 2011, where over a dozen restaurants provide a sample of their specialty cuisines – an incredibly diverse range of food from all over the globe, including Brazilian, Ethiopian, Italian, Mexican, Salvadorian, and more!
- Beyond the annual culinary event, residents enjoy the bustling local restaurant scene, and some of the favorites include La Brasa, Fat Hen, Gauchao Brazilian Cuisine, Los Paisanos Restaurant, and Blanca’s Bakery.
- The median individual income in East Somerville is $37,587, while the median household income is $72,024.
- Homes in this neighborhood are mostly comprised of single-family and multi-family properties built in the early 1900s.
- Homes for sale in East Somerville, Somerville, MA have a median listing home price of $676,950 and an average of 49 days on the market.
Magoun Square, Somerville, MA
Magoun Square is a triangle-shaped neighborhood located right in the center of Broadway and Medford Street’s intersection, bordered by Broadway to the north, train tracks to the southwest, and Glenwood Road to the southeast.
- The neighborhood was named after John Calvin Magoun, the assessor of the town of Somerville.
- Most of this area was farmland, and Magoun owned a parcel of land between Broadway and Vernon Street which was named the Adams-Magoun House.
- Like most Somerville neighborhoods, Magoun Square is another food haven, offering a variety of dining options for its residents, including Elmendorf Baking Supplies, Cicada Coffee Bar, J.P. Licks, Sound Bites, Arts at The Armory, Tasty Momo, When Pigs Fly, Lyndell’s Bakery, Tu y Yo, Valley Taqueria Mexican Grill, La Neta, A&B Burger, The Field, Tony C’s Sports Bar & Grill, and Harvard Gardens.
- The neighborhood’s public schools include Benjamin G. Brown School, John F. Kennedy Elementary School, Benjamin Banneker Charter Public School, West Somerville Neighborhood School, Dr. Albert F. Argenziano School at Lincoln Park, Somerville High School, Medford High School, and Prospect Hill Academy Charter School.
- This neighborhood is popular among home buyers who can afford to buy a home in the median price range of $930,00.
Prospect Hill, Somerville, MA
Prospect Hill is located at the very heart of Somerville, MA, sitting next to a couple of major roadways, including Highland Avenue to the north, McGrath Highway to the east, and Somerville Avenue to the south.
- The neighborhood is known for the iconic Prospect Hill Monument, also occasionally called the Prospect Hill Tower, a stone structure built on top of a site with significance in both the Revolutionary War and Civil War.
- There are several spots throughout Prospect Hill that offer scenic views of the surrounding city skyline.
- Households with kids have convenient access to nearby parks, playgrounds, daycare centers as well as highly rated schools.
- Parks and playgrounds in Prospect Hill include Dana Park, Deanna Cremin Playground, and Gore Park.
- Young families have plenty of options for childcare in Prospect Hill, including Kaniz Home Daycare, Little Scholars Workshop, The Sabis Preschool, and Peabody Terrace Children’s Center.
- Dining options are plenty for the residents of Prospect Hill, too, including Lamplighter Brewing Co., Elmendorf Baking Supplies, Cicada Coffee Bar, Pastelaria Broadway, NU Kitchen, Hot Box, Union Square Donuts, Savenor’s Market, Christina’s Homemade Ice Cream, El Potro, Felipe’s Mexican Taqueria, Cantina La Mexicana, Meadhall, The Field, Shake Shack, The Field, and Oliveiras Steakhouse.
- The median listing home price in Prospect Hill is $1,128,966.
If you’re considering living in Somerville, MA, I’ll be more than happy to show you all your housing options in this lovely location. Feel free to call me at (781) 667-2770 or send me an email at [email protected] if you have any questions or if you’d like to schedule an appointment.